Saturday, March 26, 2011

A child after my own heart...

We got home today from our little mini-vacation.  Overall we had a great time... there were moments I was ready to throw all of them in the lake, but I am sure every family deals with that on vacation.  I'll write more about it later.  I have tons of pictures and stories, like Zoe getting pistol-whipped by the park ranger.  Fun times.

On our way home, we stopped at Cracker Barrel for brunch.  I was pretty surprised at how well-behaved the girls were while we ate, considering that they were little maniacs at every other meal and that they hadn't had enough sleep two nights in a row, but this went very well.  The problem arose when we were leaving and had to walk through the store part.  Isabelle found a dress she felt she had to have and we treated the crowded store to a show of tearing the dress out of her hands and me carrying her kicking and screaming to the van.  And then listening to her scream "I want an Easter dress" for about 30 miles before she calmed down.

Even when we got home, she felt the need to crawl up in my lap several times to lament the loss of that marvelous dress (which was really kind of ugly, if you ask me).  I assured her that she would be getting an Easter dress, but maybe she should draw a picture for me of what she wanted me to make for her.  So, she got my colored pencils (a treat... I rarely let them touch them because they can destroy a box of crayons over the course of a weekend) and some paper and set to work with her sisters.

Here is what she gave me:

Isabelle's dress design.  Olivia helped.

She said that the sleeves aren't really poofy (and if you look at the other people, their heads are pretty sunk into their shirts, also - they were made with stencils by the way) and the X's are supposed to be bows.  I'm really impressed.  And it actually isn't that far off of what I plan on making for Easter dresses anyway, so I'm fairly sure I can make her happy.

I think we'll do this more often.  When I was younger, I wanted to be a fashion designer, so wouldn't it be just awesome if at least one of my kids had the same love?  I'd never push them into it, but I wouldn't discourage it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...