Monday, May 23, 2011

I can't believe I'm going to say this...

I am so ready for summer.

I'm not really a summer kind of person.  I hate, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, being hot.  I was born and raised here in Arkansas and you would think I'd be used to it by now, but I can't handle it.  I don't really care for being cold, but I'll take it over 90* any day.  The sun wears me out.  I can remember being little and my mom telling my older sister not to keep me outside too long in the heat because she was afraid I'd get heat stroke.  Our AC was out at work today and I was the most miserable and whiny person.  Maintenance brought over some fans and I commandeered one to blow right on me and no one else.  No one complained.  It shut me up.

I hated summers when I was in school.  I actually enjoyed going to school (nerd), and we lived out in the boonies and I didn't have anyone but my sisters to play with during the summer.  Who wants to play with their sister?  Well, I like them now, but growing up, that was torture.

However...

Spring sucks this year.  It's usually my favorite season, but Mother Nature is just on my list this year.  Winter was never-ending and then we got teased with a few days of nice weather, just to be cold again for a week.  The pretty spring colors seemed to come and go in about a week... very disappointing.  It seems like every time we have a storm move through, it's the worst storm we've seen in decades.  I spent the better part of a week staying up late looking at a radar on the computer.  I don't get paid as much as a meteorologist, I'm sure, so that's just not cool.  We've had floods and tornados and I'm just done with Spring this year.  Just go away.

On top of that, we are having the never-ending school year.  I think this was supposed to be our last week of school, originally.  Now we're going until June 9th.  Ugh!  It's normal for a few days to be tacked on for snow days, but they missed more than usual this year.  And then they just added two more days because they had to shut the schools down due to flooding.  I told you, Mother Nature and I are not on good terms.  Aside from postponing any fun summer plans I might come up with, it prolongs the afternoons spent sitting in the car-rider line waiting for Olivia while Isabelle and Zoe try to kill each other out of boredom.  Can I sign Olivia up to ride the bus for the last 12 days of school, please?  (That would be a big NO from ex-bus mechanic Daddy)

So, I'm just chomping at the bit, ready for summer now.  I'm ready to come home from work, stuff some kids in the van (hopefully I'll grab my own), and have picnic dinners, play at the water park, get overdosed on Vitamin D, and just have fun.  Maybe Mother Nature will even repent for her past sins by giving us a mild summer and spare me the heat stroke.  Wouldn't that be awesome?  I think she might be feeling sorry.... I found this in my flower bed today...

ready to explode

Don't ask me what they are, we planted several things and then we ended up just scattering a wildflower mix everywhere so I don't even know what to weed and what is actually going to bloom.  It's my first try at a flower bed ever, and I really don't know a pansy from a morning glory, so it'll be a surprise!  It looks like it all about to just explode in there, several little buds waiting to get big enough to open up, so I'm going to get a nice dose of Summer color soon.  Take that Spring.  Who needs you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...