Wednesday, June 29, 2011

See, I'm not a snob!

Nothing really crafty to report.  I did try to work on Zoe's afghan at the park today, but it was too hot and humid.  I don't know if you've ever tried to crochet under those conditions, but it's kind of impossible.  The yarn just kind of stuck to me and I gave up and took out a book instead (Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde....  I try not to recommend books until I've finished them in case the ending stinks, but it's Jasper Fforde and I don't think he's capable of writing a bad book.).  I didn't really get to read much either... the girls decided to swing and I had to run between three swings pushing them.  It was fun.

swingin'

This morning, a friend of mine posted an article about introverts.  I loved it.  I'm very introverted and I've been accused of all 10 of the myths in the article.  I was surprised that it said that only 25% of people are introverts... I hadn't realized we were that much of a minority. 

I often describe myself as "socially awkward."  It's just very difficult for me to interact with people sometimes.  For example, if you were to walk by me and say "Hey! How are you?", I generally say "Good." and walk on.  Afterwards I'm slapping myself in the forehead for not asking the same back, because I know it seems rude of me, but in the situation, I just never think of it.  I can't do small talk.  At work, I either leave for lunch or eat at my desk because I can't handle trying to make conversation with people in the lounge.  And trust me, it doesn't go unnoticed.  People think I am either stuck up or don't like them, which isn't true (for most of them, some of them I do not like, admittedly).  It's hard for me to make friends because they really have to be the one making the effort and they have to get past all that other stuff.  But once we are friends, I'd like to think I'm just as much fun as the next person.  Just so long as you don't want me to talk to you on the phone.  I don't like talking on the phone... I've had anxiety attacks over calling my best friend to chat.  I had to quit a job once because it involved making collection calls.  There are parts of my own job now that I have to pass off because it involves calling people.  I'm lucky my boss is very flexible with me.

I especially liked the #9 myth where he explains that our brains are too sensitive to dopamine and we tend to shut down with too much stimulation.  And #5 where he says it's crucial for an introvert to have time to recharge.  A lot of people I know couldn't handle the schedules we are on at my house, but to be honest, it's perfect for me.  Sure, I miss my husband on the days where we literally only see each other in passing, but having the evenings after the girls to go bed completely to myself is perfect for me.  It takes a lot of mental energy to deal with 3 little girls, even on the nights that they are angels.  I'm also not a very touchy-feely person... I treasure my personal space.  But my girls are very affectionate and I don't want to say I have to tolerate it, because it sounds like I'd rather they never touch me, but when you have three little girls literally sitting on top of you, sometimes it is kind of a situation where I'm just tolerating.  Just to be clear, I'm glad that they're affectionate and it takes a lot for me to ask them to back off.  But I need time to myself to recover from being a mom, being at work, just everything.  I actually don't understand people who hate to be alone.  I guess it's like where being around people sucks the life out of me, to those people, they need to feed off of other people's energy to feel right with the world (which is A-OK as long as you're not feeding off someone like me LOL)

Anyway.  I'm just blabbering now.  My introversion obviously does not apply to blogging.  =) 

I'm enjoying being on vacation this week, spending time with my girlies.  I've been having a lot of fun playing with their hair.  If you don't already know, we went through an agonizingly long period where anytime their hair got to a decent length, Isabelle would find scissors and play barber shop.  Seriously, there for a while, it looked like I was putting my little boys in dresses.  They finally have shoulder length hair... long enough for a real ponytail!  I put waterfall braids in their hair yesterday, which lasted about half an hour before their slippery-baby-fine hair fell out of the braid.  Tonight we're trying to curl their hair with a sock bun while they sleep  and if it works, I'll show it off because it is kind of neat and a good method for little ones who might not be able to handle sleeping in rollers.  I'm not quite sure their hair is long enough, but we'll see.

OK, enough babbling for now....  =)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this link. It comes on a night when I really, really, really needed to read it. :) Seriously. I live with two of these introvert creatures and am constantly vexed by them.

    Thanks, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the yarn and humidity! I'd love to crochet outside on summer time. I'm starting to really enjoy my alone time after Little A goes down for the night and before the hubs gets home. Such wonderful crafty things happen then! I totally agree with you about how recharging is a necessity. Glad to hear you're not a snob! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on your posts, and this one really struck a chord with me. I'm gonna go and read the 'introvert' article in a minute, but the bit where you said you often just forget to ask how someone is after they've asked you - yep, I can totally relate to that!! I'm hopeless at making small-talk; I can never remember things about other people's lives, sometimes I can't even remember the names of their spouses/kids, so it's really hard to ask them questions about their life, what they've been up to at the weekend, etc. Glad to know I'm not on my own!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...