Saturday, July 2, 2011

This is going to be the death of me...



This shawl is gorgeous.  You have no idea how badly I want this shawl.  Like right now.  I've been trying to make this thing for months.  But I'm really not sure it will ever happen.

First, I bought the recommended #10 crochet thread.  I had a migraine within 30 minutes of working with it.  I'm not used to such lightweight yarn/thread.  Plus, it looked and felt terrible.  I don't really seem to be all that fond of cotton yarn.  I just finished a sunhat with cotton yarn and didn't really like it much (the yarn, but I'm not crazy about the hat either now that it's finished).

Researching it on Ravelry, I discovered that  some people used lace weight yarn and it looked great, so that is what I went to the yarn store for.  I started working on it a little tonight and it's just making me insane.  I know it will have to be blocked, but it just doesn't even look remotely right.  I tried doubling up the yarn and it looked better, but then I might not have enough yarn and I bought the only skein they had.

I'm starting to think that it just might not be worth it.  But then, what on earth am I going to do with 1400 yards of lace weight yarn?  Ugh.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll just double it up and see how far I can get.  Maybe I'll have to make it a little smaller.   I think I need a different hook, too.  My E hook has a very blunt end compared to all my other hooks and I think I need one that is a little pointier.  Maybe I just need to be a little more patient and get a bigger section done and block it before I start having temper tantrums.

*banging head on wall*

Maybe what I really need is my fairy godmother to just magic me the finished shawl and then we'll all live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...