Friday, September 9, 2011

The Hostess With The Mostest...

... Mostest what, I don't know.  =)

My sister-in-law decided to move back to Massachusetts from California.  My father-in-law flew out there to help her with the moving and the drive, and they decided to make a little pit stop here to visit us along the way.  We haven't seen them in about two years.  It's just such a huge undertaking to take all 5 of us on a trip that big and we, unfortunately, don't get to make it very often.  So we were so excited that they were coming to visit.

Now, it's very rare that we have overnight company.  I don't think we have had anyone here since Isabelle was born 5 years ago.  So I spent last weekend in a cleaning frenzy, totally stressed out to the point that I spent Labor Day with a migraine.  It was totally silly of me, but I just wanted things to be nice for them.  Plus, Bill wasn't able to get any time off of work so it would be just me and the girls to entertain them most of the time.  And, just in case you missed the bulletin, I'm so not a social creature.  Not that I didn't enjoy their company... don't get me wrong, I do like them immensely.  We had a great time.  But I can't lie and say that the anticipation of playing hostess didn't weigh heavily on me. 

The main reason that Bill wasn't able to get time off was that we weren't exactly sure when they'd arrive.  They ended up leaving a day later than they planned and had some late starts.  Originally they thought they'd be here Monday, or Tuesday at the latest.  It was actually Wednesday evening when they got here.  The girls were just out of their heads with excitement. 

099

They had their Papa on book duty pretty quickly.  That was pretty much the only time they weren't running full speed, giving the tour of the house, worrying over my sister-in-law's cat, showing off toys and pillows and blankets.  They wore me out just watching.

The next day, I did have to go to work myself, but only for a few hours and I was home by the time everyone was getting up for the day.  The girls were much calmer and really well-behaved.

113

Olivia even asked to do the dishes for me.  =)

114

Days of driving wears an Aunt Mandy out and Zoe was more than happy to join her in a nap.

115

They had a lot of fun taking pictures and just acting goofy.

122

Aunt Mandy taught the girls how to play Angry Birds and Papa taught Olivia how to do Sodoku puzzles.  And she was actually getting it... I can't even do Sodoku.

Amanda and I had a few long conversations and that was really nice.  I don't think we've really ever had the chance to just chit chat... just the two of us.  So, I wasn't all that antisocial.  I did get a lot of crocheting done, though.  It's just easier for me to talk with my hands busy.

They only were able to stay two nights and had to leave while I was at work.  It was a real bummer that they had to go.  It really sucks living so far away from part of the family.  But Bill has already mentioned making the trip to visit next summer and I'm excited!  I tried to plan a trip this summer and we weren't able to make it work.  I'm going to work extra hard to make it happen next year though.  There are many, many more people to see, but it was so great to see two of them at least.

1 comment:

  1. What a great time! Looks like everyone had a blast! I hope you get to see all of your family next year. Who doesn't love an excuse for a road trip?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...