Sunday, February 12, 2012

I need to sew.

This will be the 4th year that I've made my girls' Easter dresses.  The first year they were identical pillowcase dresses that they never wore again.  I had just started sewing, too, so they weren't very impressive.  The next two years, the dresses were identical patterns, different fabrics.  So this year I have been thinking of trying three different patterns with the same fabric. 

Hobby Lobby had their Simplicity patterns on sale ($.99 each) and I thought I would check it out.  There are a lot of patterns I've found online, but patterns on Etsy run around $8-10 and multiply that by 3 plus fabric and I may as well just go buy some dresses.  I love making things for them, but if it costs more to make it than to buy it, I just think that's kind of silly.  That's why I sew mostly from tutorials or making things up myself.  Patterns can be expensive.  But $1 patterns, I can do that.  =)

I found some patterns I liked and a pattern for scrubs.

The girls have all three fixated on one particular pattern though.




I don't blame them, I love the handkerchief hem.  My other ideas:



The petal top version in pink.



This will definitely be used if only for summer clothes. 

So we may end up with the same dress, different fabrics after all.  We'll see.

I mentioned to my husband that I need to make a trip to Marshall Dry Goods to buy fabric for the dresses and scrubs.  Marshall Dry Goods is this ancient fabric store about an hour away that has the best fabric prices ever.  Like $3 per yard on some things.  As far as scrubs go, I need to find cheaper fabric or else it's pointless to make them.  You can get scrub tops for $15... to spend $8+ a yard on fabric... well, it's just not worth the effort.

Anyway, when I mentioned going to buy fabric, my husband looked at me like I'd lost my mind.  He mentioned all the fabric I bought last year when I made a trip to MDG with my sister and how quite a bit of it is still sitting unused.  It's true.  But most of it is just a yard each and I can barely make a simple dress for the girls with a yard anymore.

It's the first time my husband has pointed out that I have a bit of a hoarding problem with my craft supplies.  Between my unused MDG fabrics and the fabric my sister gave me from her mother-in-law's stash when she passed away, I have quite a stash.  But not much I can use for these particular projects.

So I guess I need to get to sewing to justify this trip I want to make. 

Which means I need to work on cleaning up the disaster my kids have made of my bedroom so I can actually sit at the sewing machine.

1 comment:

  1. the petal top one in pink is an exact copy of a cherokee dress they sold at target last year. i had it for my daughter and it was adorable. you can still find them on ebay if you look up "pink cherokee dress". They were in toddler sizes and run pretty big. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...