Sunday, April 29, 2012

3KCBWDAY7 - Crafting Balance


Crafting Balance 
Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both? If you are monogamous in your yarn-based crafting, is it because you do not enjoy the other craft or have you simply never given yourself the push to learn it? Is it because the items that you best enjoy crafting are more suited to the needles or the hook? Do you plan on ever trying to take up and fully learn the other craft? If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?


 I am definitely a hooker.  Now, I'm not one of those people who think one is better than the other.  I do know how to knit.  I taught myself how to shortly after I finally got the hang of crochet.  My sister, not realizing that I didn't knit (some people don't know there's a difference between crochet and knit), bought me this book:




There was the cutest mermaid costume in the book and I took on the task of knitting all three of my girls mermaid costumes for Halloween that year.  Insanity, I tell you.


Not the best picture to showcase my work, but you get the idea.

Honestly, other than a scarf, that's all the knitting I've done.  I have tried a few other projects, but just never finish them.  Knitting doesn't feel as natural to me and I'm slow.  Yes, I realize the speed comes with practice, but I'm not a very patient person.

And, this is just my own personal thing... I can't keep up with needles.  My kids don't mess with my crochet hooks, but those knitting needles are irresistible.  When I started those mermaid costumes, I swear I started the first one 4 times because Zoe kept pulling the needles out.  I can leave my crochet projects out and if the hook disappears, I might loose a stitch or two.  But knitting... that has to be put up if I so much as leave the room.  I got better at putting the needles back in without losing much of my work, but it's still a pain.  Plus, they make good swords for my tomboys and we just don't need any eyeballs impaled on needles.


I do want to try more knitting projects.  I love trying new techniques and just expanding my knowledge so it does tempt me.  The girls are getting older and less likely to disturb my work.  The day is coming, but until then I'll be pretty monogamous to my hooks.

3KCBWDAY7

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...