Sunday, May 20, 2012

Today

Today I woke up and looked out the kitchen window at our garden.  We have a mystery plant way outside of our garden... most likely something we planted last year that got hit by the mower.  The blooms on it were huge!

DSC_0001
The tomato cage is so my husband doesn't mow it down ;)

We aren't sure what is going to grow, but we'll find out soon!

DSC_0003
We're thinking pumpkin, maybe? 

Before we discovered the mystery plant's baby, I found this little baby tomato...

DSC_0006

Isabelle said, "Welcome to our garden, little one!"

~~~~~~

After that we went to church.  You know, it's been a few years since we've gone to church regularly.  We had been going to a pretty small, new church and while most people there were super nice, it felt like the pastor went out of his way to never even say "hello" to me.  And with a very small congregation, it just felt intentional to me and really bothered me.  We tried a few other churches, but nothing ever felt just right.  We've gone to this new church just a couple of times.  It's larger, but not too big.  When we walked up to the door this morning, the pastor greeted me by name, and had even made a point of learning all three of my girls names and who was who.  It just kind of felt like I had finally found the right place. 

~~~~~~

I mentioned to Olivia yesterday that I was planning on teaching her how to sew this summer.  Oh my word, you would have thought I told her we were going to Disneyland.  For the next 24 hours I heard a random sampling of all the projects she wants to make (mostly doll clothes) and "Can you teach me now, Mommy?  Pleeeeeeeeeeease?"

I figured I needed to go ahead and do it before my brain exploded from her excitement.

I told her we were going to start simple and we'd make a skirt.  I let her pick out the fabric - with a little direction.  Her original choice was a red and white floral print and a blue butterfly print.  I told her to just pick two fat quarters that matched.  ;)  She also found some eyelet trim and insisted that it had to go on the bottom.  I figured I'd add it as a bonus for all her hard work.

I let her sit in my lap and "steer" while I worked the pedal.  Then I let her work the pedal while I steered. I tried to teach her what is what on the machine, finished the seams for her on the serger, explained the parts I had to do for her (I won't let her iron yet).  She was just so excited, and we had an audience of eager future students. 

So, I'd like to show you Olivia's first sewing project...

DSC_0001

If you can't tell, she's very proud.  =)  I am, too.

And, of course, Isabelle and Zoe were not going to let Olivia hog the camera time.

DSC_0024

DSC_0022

DSC_0019
Photobomb, anyone?

DSC_0016
I love these crazy kids! 

1 comment:

  1. Great Job, Miss Olivia! The skirt turned out great and the eyelet at the bottom is so pretty! And I had to chuckle at your little photo bomber! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...