Sunday, June 10, 2012

Evolving idea...

I don't know about you, but once some idea gets stuck in my head, I have to do something about it pretty quickly or it drives me nuts.  So, I'll tell you that this pin has been driving me insane:




This is just so fun and whimsical.  It's been on my brain for weeks. 

Then I saw this on a Little Pink Monster:




I just knew that this had to happen.  I like the coloring book style of the top one, but since I rarely wear dresses or skirts, this was going to be a kid project for sure.  My plan:  make skirts, draw a picture for the girls to color along the bottom of the skirt.

Monday, I tricked Mr. Bill into going to JoAnn's with me and I grabbed some fabric markers.  Friday, I tricked the girls into going to Hobby Lobby with me, and I bought some fabric.  I am loving 40% and 50% off coupons this summer.  Many times when I'm at the craft store, I am not buying much that will get me more than a few bucks in savings, but these kids' crafting ideas can get a little pricey.

But, you should know I'm all kinds of impatient and couldn't wait for the chance to sit down and cut out and sew 4 skirts.  Yes, 4.  I want to color one, too! Like I said, I was being impatient and I had an extra undershirt from our tie dying, so I thought I should practice a little before working on the actual skirts.

I will say this... ribbed knit is a terrible test fabric.  But I did it, so I'm fairly positive that my skirt idea is going to work out just fine.  Want to see the coloring book tank top?

Untitled

I think it will definitely look better on smooth cotton.  This was all off the top of my head free-style.  I will probably plan the pictures out more for the skirts.  Probably draw something and trace it onto the fabric.  I considered ombre dying the top blue for the sky, and it's still an idea for the skirts, but it's late and my "yarn fingers" (I have a few fingers that stay dried out and cracked, and it didn't start until I started crocheting, so I blame the yarn) are still blue from tie dying, so I passed for the test shirt.

I'm trying to scheme up as many ideas for the girls as possible.  I need to teach Isabelle something that she can do on her own... something to keep her from spraying whipped cream all over the deck and spraying the grass with purple hair spray.  She's Dennis the Menace in a skirt, I swear.

1 comment:

  1. I can see what you mean about the ribbing...but it still turned out CUTE! I love the sun running up one of the straps (sleeves???)! Can't wait to see how your skirts turn out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...