Monday, January 25, 2016

Gray hair

This has nothing to do with anything, but I noticed lately that all the stray hairs I find on my shirt and desk are gray.  Like ALL of them.  Do I really have that much gray now?  Or maybe my scalp has decided I am too young to have this much gray and is just shedding the grays to even things out. 

This weekend I started and finished Fish in a Tree by Linda Mullaly Hunt.  I ran across it on a list of inspiring books and it's about a dyslexic girl, so I jumped on it.  At first I was really bothered by the writing, but then I realized it's a YA novel, emphasis on the Y.  It was alright, but I was expecting something completely different, which isn't the book's fault.  I have to admit that it did serve a purpose, though.  It had been a very frustrating week with Isabelle and I had pretty much decided homeschooling wasn't going to work for us.  But I felt really guilty after starting the book, reading about all the struggles the girl in the book had, and decided we would keep trying.  I couldn't help but see Isabelle as the girl in the book.  If I thought she would find a teacher to help her like the girl in the book did, I'd send her back in a heartbeat.  But that's not been our experience and I think I'm her best option at the moment.  God help her.

The book was a total impulse read, but I looked at my reading list and it fit the "book with a blue cover" selection, so that worked out pretty good.  ;)

We had snow on Friday and I was lucky enough to be able to hole up in the house and not get out in it.  I used to like the novelty of snow, because we used to only get it once every couple of  years.  But we get it at least once a year anymore and I can't stand it.  I don't know how people deal with it nonstop in the winter in northern climates.

I have had a couple of good nights' sleep.  I connected the dots that my troubles got worse when I bought a new bottle of melatonin.  I had been waking up a few times each night and thought a time release pill might help stop that.  It didn't and, of course, I tossed and turned forever trying to get to sleep so it was basically worthless.  This weekend, I bought the kind I had before, the rapid dissolve, and have slept much better.  I still get up, but I can fall back asleep without much problem.  I just need the nudge to get to sleep to begin with.

I probably do need a new mattress.  The one we have isn't very old.  It was my parents' and they gave it to us because my Mom kept falling out of bed after they bought it (she had never done that before on their previous mattress.  weird).  They decided to get twin beds and offered us this one.  It's only a few years old, but it's not as firm as I prefer and Bill's never been all that thrilled with it.  I'd absolutely love one like my mom has now.... it's one of those adjustable beds where the head and feet raise, it has a memory foam mattress, and it vibrates.  It's like sleeping in a little cloud nest being rocked to sleep by angels.  However, I think we will tough it out for another year though.   We still have to make a $3,000 payment on the moronic deal we made with the previous house owners for the hot tub (which we literally haven't used in over a year and I didn't want to begin with) and the air compressor in the shop.  I'm still kicking myself over that.  We have a list a mile long of things to spend money on after that... a fence, new mower, this, that, the other thing.  Somewhere in there is a new mattress. You know how it goes, never enough time, never enough money....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...